Brittany Hebert Franklin
Chief Executive Officer & Founder
Brittany Hebert Franklin never met a challenge she wasn’t prepared to face head-on. Her early years in Louisiana produced hardships from her parents’ divorce, mother’s drug addiction, father’s depression, and her family’s home burning to the ground. Through adversity, she clung to her rallying cry, “do things bigger than yourself” and has continued to raise the bar for herself each year.
At 21, Brittany was approached to raise $10,000 for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Brittany remembered her life-changing trip only five years prior. Inspired by the challenge, Franklin contacted a few friends and hosted a sporting clay tournament in hopes of raising the $10,000. That day, they raised $50,000.
For 13 years, Brittany excelled in the Oil and Gas industry while building Sky High for Kids in her personal time. She utilized her contacts and resources within the industry to build events throughout Texas and Louisiana–raising millions of dollars to fund research projects. Sky High for Kids was officially founded in 2007 and successfully operated as a volunteer-run organization until 2014. The nonprofit organization’s mission is to provide comfort, fund research and save the lives of those fighting pediatric cancer and other life-threatening diseases.
In 2018, Brittany became the foundation’s full-time CEO. Today, she is leading a team raising millions of dollars to help fund pediatric cancer research. Sky High funds projects at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Texas Children’s Cancer & Hematology Center and The Ronald McDonald House Charities, Memphis among others. Brittany’s leadership and passion has led Sky for High Kids to donate more than $14 million to research institutions and causes, including $4 million in 2019 alone. In 2018, Sky High for Kids ambitiously pledged to raise $40 million over the next 15 years for Texas Children’s Hospital and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital ($20 per institution).Twenty million of the commitment benefits Texas Children’s Cancer Center projects Global HOPE initiative and the first immunotherapy center solely dedicated to pediatric cancer in the U.S. In addition, Sky High has committed to a $20 million pledge to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital to fund a research floor within the new 625,000-square-foot Advanced Research Center (ARC). Research conducted throughout the ARC will help move pediatric cancer survival rates forward.
Brittany is a member of the Entrepreneurship Organization of Houston and Houston Pipeliners Association. She also serves on the Texas Children’s Cancer Center Advisory Board, Global Hope Campaign Executive Committee and Leadership Committee for the Ronald McDonald House Charities, Memphis. Recognitions include Houston Business Journal’s 2016 40 Under 40 and Women to Watch in Business, St. Jude Houston Region Guest of Honor as well as one of Houston Modern Luxury’s 2017 Most Dynamic Women. Through her company, BMH Performance, LLC, she consults other nonprofit organizations, oil and gas service companies, and shares her story as a keynote speaker.
Brittany lives in Houston with her husband, James Robert, and two dogs.
Director of Operations
Shauntae was born and raised in Fargo, ND and moved to Houston in 2008. She joined the Sky High Team in 2017 as the Executive Assistant to the CEO and believes her mission in life is to help find the cure for pediatric cancer. When not working, Shauntae enjoys spending time with her family, finding new recipes and staying active. The Sky High Team has become her second family as she continues to live the mission as Director of Operations.
Director of Marketing & Communications
Kristina joined Sky High in 2017 and in her current role is responsible for developing marketing and communication strategies that help advocate Sky High’s efforts. This includes collateral design, social media, media outreach, branding, email & mail marketing, merchandise, videography, website management, advertising, marketing training and more.
In 2018, she led Sky High’s rebranding and website redesign.
Kristina brings 11 years marketing and public relations experience to Sky High. Prior to joining the team, Kristina worked with a private oil and gas company in South Texas and with a nationally recognized law firm handling public relations, marketing and event production.
A Texas native, Kristina graduated from The University of Texas at San Antonio where she studied communication with a concentration in public relations and a minor in business administration. In her spare time, Kristina enjoys spending time with her husband and friends, reading and working out.
She is an alumna of Phi Mu Fraternity, a member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals, a representative of Global H.O.P.E.’s Campaign Executive Committee and she previously served on the Forbes Communications Council.
Director of Events
Raised in Pearland, Texas, Grace is a Texas State University graduate with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Public Relations and Business Administration. Grace joined Sky High as an event coordinator in July 2018, where she spearheaded the Lafayette and Permian Basin events before transitioning into the Director of Events role in July 2021. Grace is now using her love for the behind the scene aspect of events to streamline processes, expand regions and take our events department to the next level. Grace enjoys Orange Theory, spending time with family and friends, volunteering at her hometown church, and indulging in tacos and frozen margaritas.
Office Manager & Executive Assistant to the CEO
Megan Nunez, a native Houstonian, began volunteering with Sky High for Kids and soon after, fell in love with the mission. In 2022, she decided to make the leap and make Sky High for Kids her full time career. In her current role, she is the Executive Assistant to the CEO, Office Manager and Programs Coordinator. She manages day to day office operations, our programs division, all things Brittany as well as assisting with events and so much more! In her spare time, she enjoys the beach, trying out new restaurants, family and her husband and two cats Magnolia & Olive.
Joseph “Joe” Kern, was born and raised in Winchester, KS. Joe graduated from Sterling College December 2018 with a Sports Management degree with a concentration in Administration and soon after, moved to Houston, TX. Prior to working with Sky High for Kids, Joe worked in the event industry working large scale events like Houston Texans games, The Houston Livestock and Rodeo, and the Houston Astros games for three years .
Joe joined Sky High’s team in 2022 and is excited to bring a unique perspective and passion towards the mission to end Childhood Cancer.
In his free time, he loves to spend time at the beach, play basketball and discover everything Houston has to offer.
Noel Jones is a talented marketing professional and native Houstonian who recently graduated from Texas A&M University in May 2022 with a Bachelor’s degree in Visualization and a minor in Communication. She is excited to begin her career with Sky High for Kid’s Marketing Coordinator, marking her first job out of university.
During her time at Texas A&M, Noel focused on interactive media and honed her skills in graphic design and UI/UX design. Outisde of her studies, she was the Director of the only improv troupe on campus and hosted her own radio show on KANM: The College Station of College Station.
She currently resides in the Clear Lake area of Houston, Texas. When she’s not busy with work, Noel enjoys attending concerts and spoiling her cat, Ringo with treats and affection.
Assistant Event Coordinator
Are you interested in joining our team? See open positions below. Please enter the job title in your subject line.
Event Coordinator Job Description
Sky High for Kids
Sky High is a 501C3 Non-profit organization whose mission is to bring the community together to provide comfort, fund research and save lives of those diagnosed with pediatric cancer and other lift threatening conditions. Our vision is to end pediatric cancer. We live and honor our core values: Passion, Integrity, Faith, Family and being Mission Driven.
The Event Coordinator must support the vision and mission of the organization. The EC is responsible for but not limited to implementing planning, and seamless execution, for multiple fundraising events and/or programs.
This position will support the Director of Events in efforts to present polished, engaging, and successful events, both fundraising and non-fundraising, throughout the calendar year. The Event Coordinator is responsible for training through managing event budgets provided by the Event Director, monitoring revenue and expenses, and maximizing net proceeds for each designated event. The Event Coordinator is also responsible for the assistance in maintaining existing donor relationships pertinent to the regional event.
This person will office at 9800 Richmond Ave. Suite 335, Houston, TX 77042.
Office Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm Monday – Thursday and 8:30am – closed on Friday outside of event weekends.
Dress Code: Business casual attire Monday – Thursday. Event weeks: (Appropriate fitness attire & tennis shoes are permitted & encouraged)
Benefits | Perks Include:
• Base salary + potential annual performance bonus based on company bonus structure. This bonus is determined by the direct manager and the CEO in December of each calendar year. Employees must work from January to December in the calendar year to be eligible for 100% of the potential annual performance bonus. Employees who start after January will have pro-rated bonus potential.
• All employees regardless of tenure are eligible for spot bonuses based on performance at the discretion of the CEO.
• Health insurance is fully paid by Sky High including dental, vision and long-term disability.
• $60 cell monthly phone stipend.
• Paid travel expenses; auto mileage .50 per mile / daily meal per diem of $50 for breakfast, lunch & dinner.
• Mandatory 3–5-day annual offsite staff retreat.
• Mandatory one quarterly team offsite workday or team activity; date & location at discretion of Office Manager.
• 12 weeks paid maternity leave (subject to eligibility)
• 80 hours of paid time off (PTO) *20 hours per quarter
• Paid Time Off, (PTO) shall be utilized for vacation, doctors/dentist appointments, personal and family illness, or any other personal time off needed. Employees shall not be allowed to carry over any accumulated time for PTO or “Comp Days” from one calendar year to another. Employees will not be compensated for any unused PTO at the end of the calendar year.
• “Comp Days” – (1) day off for every 7 days consecutively worked will be awarded to the employee. Comp days must be taken after the 7 days consecutively worked.
• 3 weeks paid bonus vacation; must be taken week of July 4th, Christmas, and New Year’s (office is closed)
• Holidays (Office is closed)
– New Year’s Day (1/1)
– Martin Luther King Day
– Good Friday
– Memorial Day
– Independence Day
– Labor Day
– Thanksgiving (Thanksgiving Day and Friday)
– Christmas Holiday (Christmas Eve and Christmas Day)
Sky High for Kids is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the belief that everyone is entitled to equal employment opportunity.
• It is important that during the initial period of employment, Sky High will be able to assess your ability to perform your duties. The first 90 days of employment will represent an assessment period, during which you or we may terminate your employment for any reason without notice and without the payment of any further benefits. During this assessment period we will evaluate your work, including your interaction with colleagues and donors to determine whether you are suitable for the position. At the end of the assessment period, a performance review will be conducted by the Direct Manager & CEO of the organization.
• Upon completion of the 90-day assessment period and mutual agreement to continue employment, you will be offered the fulltime position as stated in this document with the benefits that are detailed above.
• Employment is not stated for a period and there are no contractual limitations on the termination of employment. The CEO can, at any time, terminate this position with or without cause or notice. If the employee elects to resign from the position, he or she may do so at any time but must provide a minimum of two weeks’ notice to the CEO of the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage planning, budgeting, expenses, regional committee members, registration, scheduling, implementation, design, logistics, execution, volunteers, and analyzation.
• Coordinate event details such as guest registration, catering, rentals, seating, live & silent auction, software, in-kind donations, etc. for designated events.
• Lead and manage regional committee meetings and coordinate materials for each meeting and training session that pertain to the designated events.
• Demonstrate creativity, routinely offer new and exciting ideas and concepts that uphold high quality expectations, while remaining cost-effective.
• Work with the Event Director to select chairpersons and oversee the related event solicitation planning process; develop, cultivate, manage, and provide leadership to volunteer event chairpersons tasked with representing Sky High.
• Work alongside Event Director and committee chairs for regional event Guest of Honor selection process and manage GOH marketing activities pertaining to the event.
• Work with the Event Director to manage the involvement of key Sky-High executives and Board members at fundraising events.
• Responsible for supporting and maintaining existing donor relationships pertinent to the regional event.
• Supervise the solicitation of in-kind contributions for special events.
• Maintain good relationships with all donors and special events fundraising volunteers (internal and external).
• Support the maintenance of long-term, strategic relationships with event vendors, media partners, sponsors, and retail partners.
• Establish annual deadlines per event and /or programs.
• Assist Event Director with managing the volunteer database for each designated event.
• Travel to and participate in required Board, Committee planning meetings, record notes, compile and distribute to the board and committee members.
• Respond to all direct requests for information and/or forward to appropriate staff member in a timely manner; within 24 hours during business hours and event weekends.
• Work directly with sponsors to fulfill marketing and sponsorship agreements; maintain corporate sponsorships with assistance of BOD.
• Work with Finance Director and/or office Admin to obtain and record payment from donors.
• Understand and be able to operate auction software and CRM / Salsa.
• Manage communication and event marketing, event plans between the marketing firm and CEO.
• NOTE: This job description represents the essential functions of the position but is not all inclusive. Additional duties reasonably related to the position or other Sky High company functions may be assigned.
• Event Coordinator position will include support management and execution of a minimum of 3 events annually.
• Operating vehicle that is always available for use during business hours, after hours meetings & event & team retreat travel.
• Valid Driver’s License
• Valid vehicle insurance
• You consent to the use and reproduction of photographs, films, videotapes, interviews, and information about you/your child taken by and for Sky High and/or its agents or persons authorized by them for use in news stories, publicity, promotion, public awareness, and fundraising. You also agree that such uses may include internet posting or other publication in other media by celebrities and corporate supporters. You will not receive a payment for any such use.
• Candidates must be physically able to perform duties including frequent lifting to 25 pounds, bending, reaching above shoulder level, climbing stairs, pulling, typing, prolonged standing or sitting.
• Associates or bachelor’s degree with 2 or more years of experience organizing and coordinating special events required; preferably but not limited to in a non-profit environment. Excellent written and verbal communication skills; prior experience in event publicity or managing press relations would be helpful. Must have prior experience interacting with volunteers, and major donors or high-level clients regularly.
• Proficient in Microsoft office and experience in Adobe products (in-design) is preferred.
• Time management and organizational skills.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
• The Event Coordinator must be able to deliver the roles and responsibilities consistently in a fast-paced, demanding environment, where accuracy, attention to detail, and responsiveness are key to success of the organization.
• The Event Coordinator must be exhibit flexibility and be able to work in an environment that may require irregular working hours to support after hours meetings and all designated Sky High’s events.
• The Event Coordinator must respond timely to emails, and requests within a 24-hour period; if on vacation, an out of the office reply must be set and directed to the office Admin or direct manager.
• The Event Coordinator must maintain open and honest communication, have a passion for servant leadership, exhibit personal humility, professional courage, and support the core values of Sky High.
• Be able to learn through on-the-job training and retain information quickly.
• Active on personal social media (Linked In, Instagram & Facebook) in relation to promoting and sharing Sky High marketing materials.
CEO EXPECTATIONS: Guiding Principals
• Do not assume; ask questions to ensure accuracy.
• Pay attention to detail; proofread all work.
• Be proactive; do the work needed to get ahead.
• Solution driven; research and/or team collaboration must be performed to present a solution before closing the door on a subject.
• Transparency; open and honest communication in the moment.
• Assume positive intent.
• Strong work ethic: do what it takes to get the job done morally and ethically.
• Positive mindset and attitude.
• Teamwork and team collaboration.
• Desire to grow personally and professionally and as a company.